ADA Requirements and Tax Credit

When do I need to hire sign language interpreters?

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), private businesses, nonprofit agencies, and government programs must provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities, including deaf persons. This federal law applies to a variety of settings such as business functions, social events, and recreational activities. According to Title III of the ADA, ™a public accommodation shall furnish appropriate auxiliary aids and services where necessary to ensure effective communication with individuals with disabilities. . .which includes the use of a qualified sign language interpreter (28 C.F.R. sec. 36.303(c))∫. The Department of Justice and other federal agencies vigorously enforce the ADA.

For more information, please visit the ADA home page at

Can small businesses claim a tax credit for ADA-related expenses?

Section 44 of the Internal Revenue Code allows small businesses to claim a tax credit to help cover ADA-related expenditures. A business that had either revenues of $1,000,000 or less or no more than 30 full-time workers may qualify for this credit. The credit can be used to cover costs for providing equal access under the ADA, including sign language interpreters.